Whitney Houston, at the age of 48, was found dead yesterday at the Beverley Hilton Hotel. We have certainly lost one of the greatest voices of our time, a pure talent who died far too young. The coroners have yet to determine the true cause of death. But unfortunately considering her public battle with drugs for the last decade or so, many of us are not incredibly shocked as we read this headline today. That is the real tragedy.
The most recent news development is that she had a multitude of prescription bottles, including Xanax and she was also drinking the night before. Mixing prescription pills and alcohol could have been the cause of her untimely death. If cocaine was the drug of the 80's, then prescription pills are the cocaine of today. We have lost too many, too young because of what many consider to be an epidemic of prescription pill abuse.
Just because they come in a nicely labelled bottle does not make them any less dangerous. Michael Jackson, Amy Winehouse, Heath Ledger, the list goes on. According to this article done by ABC news, about 40 Americans die every day from prescription drug overdose. That is absolutely unacceptable. When will we learn.
Here is one of my favourite Whitney tracks; a true talent, we lost too soon